The most crucial time for your muscles is post workout. Once you finish a hard workout session, your body is screaming for nutrients and to be replenished. And if you’re not getting what you need post workout, you’re cheating yourself out of gains.
I want to discuss 5 things you need post workout. And I will split this up into two sections. The first three are no-brainers. The second two are my opinion and based on what works for me.
3 Post Workout Must-Haves
- Protein – We all know that a hefty amount of protein is needed post workout. When you workout, you break down the muscle as well as proteins. So the goal is to get fast-digesting protein into your system immediately post workout. Whey protein works for me. This kick-starts your recovery.
- Carbs – You also need simple carbs added to your protein. The need for carbs post workout is to replenish your glycogen levels. I use dark berries, bananas and coconut milk with my protein shake.
- Fats – Some say not to mix fats and carbs. I personally think it’s better to have a balanced meal. In this case, since we’re taking in a lot of carbs, you want minimal fats. I use a teaspoon of natural peanut butter. The bottom line is your body needs healthy fats to function. This is also a good way to add a few extra calories if you’re wanting to gain more muscle.
2 Post Workout Supplements
- Multi-vitamins – For me, this is the perfect time to take multi-vitamins; with a post workout shake. Most vitamins are fat soluble and need to be taken with a meal. Post workout is a time you’re more conscience about supplements. So for me it makes sense to take my vitamins with my post workout shake.
- Test Booster – At the time I’m writing this, I’m one my 2nd week of Prime Male. Prime Male is a natural testosterone booster that caters to men over 30 (I’m well over that mark, at 41). You can read about my initial experience with Prime Male here: Jason’s Prime Male Review.
Most Important Meal of the Day: Post Workout
So there you have it, my 5 things you need post workout. The high protein and carbs will be obvious to some, but I always like to reiterate the basics as sometimes we can forget. Post workout is definitely the most important meal of the day.
I also threw in the types of supplements I prefer to take post workout. As I stated earlier, this is a great time to take supplements because for one, you’re already in that mindset after a workout. Secondly, many supplements work better when take with food. This is true for both multi-vitamins and testosterone boosters like Prime Male.
My Post Workout Shake Recipe
While I’m talking about the 5 things you need post workout, I’d like to my current post workout shake recipe. It’s pretty simple and extremely tasty.
- 2 scoops of whey protein
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup of Publix frozen dark berries
- 1 teaspoon of natural peanut butter
- Animal Pak (or any multi-vitamin)
- Prime Male testosterone booster
My Prime Male Challenge
If you caught my last blog post, you know I just started taking Prime Male while on a mission to get stronger. I’m documenting my progress along the way. You can check out my overview of my first week on Prime Male here: Prime Male Strength Training – Week 1.
Train with Passion,