As you know, things shift a little at this age, especially when you’re in the 40+ club. But that doesn’t have to be a bad thing if you give your body what it needs.
In this post, I’m going to show you 4 basic supplements for men over 40. These supplements are designed to work together to do 3 things:
- Help you build more lean muscle
- Increase your testosterone naturally
- Give you more energy throughout the day
Let’s get started…
Why it’s Important to Build More Muscle and Boost Test Over 40
Alright, here’s the truth. You’re not 20 years old anymore.
Energy is a bit less. Muscle and strength may be ok, but you know you’ve been stronger. And you’re starting to hold more than you’d like around the waistline and line (ah, that lower chest fat sucks!).
Oh, and sex sounds nice until you realize you actually have to pause Netflix and get up off the couch.
Aging is based on 3 things (probably more, but it all rolls up to 1 of these 3):
- Hormonal imbalance due to lack of proper nutrients
- Lack of activity/working out
- Poor diet
We’re going to focus on the first problem. And I’m going to show you exactly what supplements to take (and how to take them) to increase testosterone, control estrogen, and get back your energy and drive.
**I’ll also help you with the workout and diet at the end of this post, so make sure you hang around for that.
Below are the 4 supplements that are crucial for men over 40 to build lean muscle and boost testosterone…
1) Extra Vitamin D
I’ll give you my personal story as this will help you. I didn’t start going to the doctor on a regular basis for health checks until I was 40.
Though I was healthy for the most part, my blood levels came back showing that I had low levels of Vitamin D. This was a shock because I was certain that I was getting enough vitamin D in my diet!
Naturally, my doc advised that due to my age, I needed more and should start supplementing with vitamin D.
You can read more about how vitamin D can enhance your health in the article ‘Vitamin D: Vital Role in Your Health’ on webmd.com.
Here are some of the important benefits of supplementing with Vitamin D:
- Boost strength gains (I assume you’re going to the gym – if you don’t, then start NOW!)
- Strengthens your bones
- May reduce the risk of heart disease and other ailments
- Taking extra vitamin D can support an increase in natural testosterone, which is crucial for men over 40
Recommended: Nature Made Vitamin D3
There’s a TON of vitamin D supplements you can buy. And some of these supplements claim to have superior effects or better absorption, or whatever…
But I recommend just sticking with a simple, regular Vitamin D supplement from a reputable brand.
Nature Made Vitamin D3 is my recommended choice. The brand has been around for a long time, and they specialize in high-quality individual vitamins and supplements.
2) Combination of Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamin B6 (ZMA)
If you were to just take one supplement, I highly recommend that you take this vitamin and nutrient combination:
- Vitamin B6 – 10.5 mg
- Magnesium – 450 mg
- Zinc – 30 mg
This formula is known as ZMA. To legitimately be ZMA, there are specific amounts (listed above) of each ingredient required. And I’ll give you the original ZMA brand below.
In my opinion, ZMA is close to a magical supplement for men over 40. And the cool thing is it’s one of the most inexpensive supplements you can buy. So it’s a no-brainer to start taking it now if you’re not already.
Here are some benefits of supplementing with ZMA:
- Builds muscle mass
- Naturally increases testosterone
- Boosts growth hormone levels
- Helps your body go into a deep, restful sleep
Recommended: SNAC ZMA
SNAC ZMA is the original ZMA formula founded by strength training coach Victor Conte to improve muscle strength and endurance for athletes.
You’ll see that it’s promoted as a recovery and sleep enhancement formula. And this is exactly how ZMA will increase both testosterone and growth hormone levels.
Muscle recovery is another effect of taking SNAC ZMA. This leads to more lean muscle and strength gains.
**There are other supplements that claim to be ZMA. But unless they have the patented ZMA trademark, don’t buy it because the formula is not going to be correct.
This is why I recommend the brand that created the original ZMA formula above. You can read more about this specific brand here at snac.com.
3) Creatine Monohydrate
Creatine monohydrate is to date has the most research and studies that back it claims to build more muscle mass. And building muscle mass is extremely important for us men over 40.
The bottom line about creatine is it works. In fact, creatine alone works better than most other muscle building supplement that costs 3x more! Oh yeah, creatine is super cheap! For example, Vitamin D and ZMA are affordable to most any budget.
Here are a few reasons why you should take creatine monohydrate:
- Builds bigger, leaner muscle mass
- Boosts strength gains
- Enhances muscle energy and recovery
- May inadvertently increase testosterone in men (by granting the ability to lift heavier weights and train harder)
Recommended: Optimum Nutrition Creatine (Monohydrate)
Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Powder is my recommended brand of creatine.
Optimum Nutrition is a trusted supplement brand that’s been around for decades. Also, their creatine does not upset my stomach as some others do.
There’s nothing fancy here. It’s just raw, pure creatine monohydrate. And it’s micronized for better absorption (I will show you how to take creatine, and what to take it with to be more effective below).
Creatine also works in conjunction with whey protein. You can read about my top whey protein powders here.
4) Natural Testosterone Booster
Lastly, it’s not a bad idea to take a natural testosterone booster for men over 40. You’re already fully aware that our testosterone decreases as we age.
With that goes our lean muscle mass, energy, and sex drive. Yeah, it kinda sucks!
Of course, the primary benefits of taking a testosterone booster is actually increasing testosterone and all of the muscle building and libido-boosting benefits that come with that.
So I’m going to share some of the hidden benefits of taking a natural testosterone booster you may not be aware of…
- Balances your hormone levels (not just testosterone, but controlling estrogen as well)
- May help reduce the risk of heart disease (low T can actually lead to heart disease) according to WebMD’s article Low Testosterone Linked to Possible Heart Problems in Men
- The muscle and strength gains from increased testosterone can support bone health, and improve balance and coordination
- Harvard Health Publishing reveals how higher testosterone may support brain function and cognitive function in their article Testosterone May Improve Mental Function
Recommended: Prime Male
Prime Male is my top choice for natural testosterone boosters. The thing I like most is they’re upfront about the label and you know exactly what you’re putting into your body. And more importantly,…it works!
Prime Male’s formula is specific to us men over 40, giving us the ingredients our body needs to produce more free testosterone.
And unlike many test boosters, Prime Male is effectively dosed (that’s where it really stands out).
The only thing I’ll say is you have to give it a couple of weeks, taking it consistently, to notice results.
How to Take these Supplements
As a disclaimer, you should follow the label for all of your supplements. But I’d like to give you a visual of how I personally take these (timings and amounts).
|Vitamin D|| with breakfast and |
|2x dose each time|
|ZMA||30 minutes before bed||1 dose/serving|
|Creatine||pre and post-workout||5-7 grams each time|
|Prime Male||with meals|| 1 dose, 4x a day |
(as the label instructs)
Tips on Building Muscle and Boosting Testosterone
I’d like to give you some additional tips that will help all men over 40 build muscle mass and naturally increase testosterone. The awesome thing is these 2 go hand-in-hand…
When you aim to build muscle mass, you’ll be increasing your testosterone naturally! It’s like that Van Damme movie Double Impact!
Here are some resources that may help you even more:
- Don’t be afraid to lift heavy! Now, heavy is relative. I’m not saying go hurt yourself. But make sure you’re pushing some challenging weights at the beginning of your workouts, using compound exercises. Read this post for an excellent strength training program: Advanced 5 x 5 Workouts for Muscle and Strength Gains
- Dial-in your diet by eating the types of foods that work best for you. Don’t fall into the trendy diets. Rather, eat a balanced diet. You need protein, healthy fats, and yes, despite the Keto cult, you do need some carbs. Read this post for meal plans: Meal Plans for Gaining Lean Muscle and Getting Shredded
- Be consistent with your workouts, train hard, stay active, and eat decently. You don’t have to go overboard, but everything in moderation.
Leave me a comment below if you have any questions, and feel free to share some of the things that have helped you stay strong and young!
Train with Passion,
Being Over 40 Doesn’t Have to Suck
Age…it’s what we make it. If you have less energy, muscle, and drive, it’s because you stated to neglect the things that kept you moving when you were younger.
PRIME MALE is a testosterone booster made specifically for men over 40. It will help you get motivated, hit the gym, and eat better. And you can take it all to the next level by boosting your testosterone with Prime Male.
Click below to learn more…